As we age, the wear and tear on the spongy cartilage of our spine causes it to become thinner. Since the cartilage is necessary to keep the bones of the spine from rubbing together, the loss of cartilage can be very troublesome for spinal health. Chiropractic treatment can help relieve the pain and inflammation associated with back pain.
When the spinal vertebrae continually rub together, small irregular growths called bone spurs usually form on the joints of the spine. Bone spurs are nature’s way of trying to stabilize the spine due to loss of the cartridge. This instability can cause patients to experience pain in their back. The lower back is the most common area where this cartilage is lost. The overall loss of cartilage in the joints of the body is known as osteoarthritis.
There are a number of reasons why some people are pre-disposed to osteoarthritis. However, as with nearly all abnormal conditions affecting the body, it is likely that a combination of risk factors work together to cause osteoarthritis.
There are several risk factors associated with spinal arthritis such as:
- Age – Years of repetitive movement, often work-related, can provide a steady deterioration of the spine
- Gender – More common in males over 45, the gender hit flips after age 45 to post-menopausal women
- Weight – Excess weight causes stress on the spine and joints that bear weight
- Genetics – Family genes or congenital defects can present in the spine and joints
- Associated Diseases – Other diseases, infections, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout can intensify spinal arthritis
There is no cure for osteoarthritis. However your chiropractor will help you devise a strategy to minimize the severity & frequency of flare-ups.
At Stillorgan Chiropractic you will receive expert care from an experienced chiropractor. Our modern office with state of the art equipment means you receive comfortable treatment whatever your condition.
Call 012055550 to make an appointment